- Strawberries - Because of the trailing stems these can be ideal around the edge of your planter
- Beetroot – Very easy to grow from seed or you can buy young plants in trays.
- Radishes – Fast maturing vegetable, ideal for filling in gaps between larger or longer to establish crops.
- Herbs – Smaller herbs such as chives, basil and thyme are ideal for containers and planters.
- Chilli peppers – Easy to grow but they do need heat to ripen. After any possible frosts they can be planter outside, in a sunny and sheltered position.
You can fill the gap between any larger plant with smaller more compact varieties such as radishes, lettuce and spring onions.
For a little extra colour and some pest control you could also consider adding marigolds or perhaps nasturtiums.